Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17buddies Solstice Mapping Contest
Forum 17B > General Forum > 17B's News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SergioPoverony
QUOTE (S3B @ 07/04/2012 - 23:22:03) *
Sergio's textures are not really necessary, we can create the same effect with a well build map wink.gif

smile.gif more brush this is +Up to Wpoly
Chapo
I added a texture to the wad so you can make a transition between the grass and sand, but as stated S3B, this is not necessarily needed.

This is precisely the difficulty of this contest where you have to find a good compromise between appearance of the map and wpolys.

But all your creations are here to prove that you are great mappers and that you will necessarily get there. wink.gif

icon_jap.gif

Download here the new 17bsolstice wad file.
Project
Project will try icon_ane.gif

I dont garantee I'll have the time to do something good but i'll try ^^

I just have one problem with a rule :

[*]Map must have been optimized with 1200 wpolys maximum

I guess you mean 12.000 polys ? You forgot one zero ? icon_ane.gif

Ok ok i'll try not to make my usual "huge beautifull but unplayable map" biggrin.gif

icon_ami.gif
chaosmedia90
Chapo is so necessary to add new texture to the site wad? smile.gif mappers can do unlimited ways to made a good combination with textures , for example my start map....

Max (von A)
it is this very cute looking, ChaosMedia. felicitation.gif

I also am going to start but I will not go. icon_oui.gif
S3B
@Projec : Welcome, and it's really 1200 WPOLYS ^^
Chapo
Happy to see a french mapper Project felicitation.gif
S3B
Yes, 1 french, but where are the other french mappers ???? oO
Grounded
QUOTE (Max (von A) @ 06/04/2012 - 16:34:48) *
chateau.wad
cs_747.wad
cs_assault.WAD
cs_bdog.wad
cs_cbble.wad
cs_dust.wad
cs_havana.wad
cs_office.wad
cstrike.WAD
de_aztec.wad
de_piranesi.wad
de_storm.wad
decals.wad
halflife.wad
itsItaly.wad
liquids.wad
prodigy.wad
tswad.wad
xeno.wad

(please let me know if I miss some official wad)

de_airstrip.wad?

Someone mentioned a texture name being duplicated in 17bsolstice.wad - there's another one called OUT_CAC2 that has the same problem. Can I also suggest adding a copy of the !mtxwater texture but without the ! at the start of the name? This would allow the texture to be used without the engine adding the usual water distortion effect.
Dominio
If I know, original wads are:
ajawad.wad
cached.wad
chateau.wad
cstraining.wad
cstrike.wad
cs_747.wad
cs_assault.wad
cs_bdog.wad
cs_cbble.wad
cs_dust.wad
cs_havana.WAD
cs_office.wad
decals.wad
de_airstrip.wad
de_aztec.wad
de_piranesi.wad
de_storm.wad
de_vertigo.wad
itsitaly.wad
n0th1ng.wad
prodigy.wad
torntextures.wad
tswad.wad
cached.wad
decals.wad
fonts.wad
gfx.wad
halflife.wad
liquids.wad
spraypaint.wad
xeno.wad
Naigel
Admins: make decisions about the wad's soon. If you let everyone submit custom textures, you might as well allow custom .wad's in general. What's the point of moving textures out of a custom .wad, submitting it here to be finally added in the 17b .wad?

Also, please note that there's a HUGE difference between the workload of the following gametypes:

Defuse - requires a good, well tested layout, would require lots of debugging as well.
Hostage Rescue - same as defuse.
Fight Yard - most of the time, this is a small map. Most of the time it's a symmetrical map. Requires far less effort than de/cs.
Gungame - same as fy.
Aim map - same as fy.

What I mean is that de/cs should already be in favor above the other gametypes, so consider leaving these out or have gametypes that are about the same effort to make.
S3B
We know that fy/gg/aim maps are easier to create.The mappers who choose fy/aim/gg maps must create a beautiful map, with excellent gameplay, etc...
fr33pr0d
QUOTE (Naigel @ 08/04/2012 - 12:15:50) *
Admins: make decisions about the wad's soon. If you let everyone submit custom textures, you might as well allow custom .wad's in general. What's the point of moving textures out of a custom .wad, submitting it here to be finally added in the 17b .wad?

I agree. What stops me (or anyone else) from using any textures I want and then post them here to be added to the wad?
Vova
Can I create map only with original cs wad's without your given wad?
fr33pr0d
QUOTE (Chapo @ 31/03/2012 - 11:55:27) *
  • You must place prominently in the map at least one banner and one button 17buddies provided in the 17bsolstice wad file,

You cannot do that whitout the 17bsolstice.wad.
Naigel
Also, I want the rule of max 1200 w_poly to be followed strictly. Meaning that maps having more than 1200 should be disqualified immediately, no matter how 'good' it is.

Please provide examples of said themes. Having a sun in your skybox could already be related to summer. Be more specific.
Vova
No , texture of banner and button I'll use , but textures that they give I can't use.
Naigel
QUOTE (Vova @ 08/04/2012 - 18:09:15) *
No , texture of banner and button I'll use , but textures that they give I can't use.

They're not forcing you to use ONLY their .wad. It's just that you need that .wad for the banner. You can use the default .wad's with the default textures that comes installed with CS.
Beretta
im in
Nick:Berreta
Chapo
ok, so:

Here is the last version of 17bsolstice.wad.

I have only changed the OUT_CAC2 texture name to avoid problems.

This wad won't change anymore.

You must now use it, as it. All future demands for adding or modifying a texture will be rejected.

Theme is summer, sunny, solstice, or anything else in relation with sun.

Using our wad can be a good idea because textures have been choosen for this theme. You can use other textures if you want ... but perhaps won't it be a good idea to use only dust textures ... wink.gif

The only obligation is to put our banner and button on your map as indicated in the rules.

WPolys are limited to 1200. A map with 1201 WPolys will be disqualified.

Fy_, gg_ or aim_ maps are easier than de_ or cs_ maps. We know that and our judgment will of course take that into account.

Now you have enough elements to make great maps and i know you will succeed.

Happy mapping!

ami2.gif
Max (von A)
There are two types of polygons in half life:

1- wpolys (world polygons)

2- epolys (entity polygons)

Wpolys are assigned to the "square" that the HL engine divides the map. (not the number of squares that is built)
Epolys polygons are assigned to entities. (Model's, guns etc etc)

The command "r_speeds 1" serves to tell you the amount of polygons per second that the engine of half life is to draw (render speeds).

The plates are able to draw 3d x polygons per second.
When a map of r_speeds logically abused (polygons), the plates do not come 3d, and noticed the lag (sobs).

Now the Epolys Wpolys and measured with the command above. You should write to the console counter-strike:

sv_cheats 1
r_speeds 1

Values ​​appear in the console, you must traverse all areas of your map and be antentos to the values ​​that mark (wPoly in this case).

Formerly, graphics cards not tolerate Wpolys read over 1200, this occurred because the information Lag took more milliseconds to process, but ... formerly.

In 2012 the new 3D accelerator graphics cards, this command is useful but not as important as it was before (in 2006 when it launched the cs 1.6).

The need to reduce wpolys comes from the need to professionalize the map, reduce information processing time and therefore give you more gameplay.

But if the respawns the map, for example, wpolys are too high. Does this affect the gameplay? Is relative, since what is really interested in the "hot spots" (direct confrontation) the wpolys are low for the info faster. I think the "pros" never attacked a base when you should really worry about that and we'll forth and they plant the C4 on bombsite.

The Wpolys is reduced by two main methods:

Converting complex solids in an entity (entities produce no increase in wpolys, obviously): func_wall

Avoid creating unnecessary divisions in solids (cutting tool).

I think he understood. huh.gif

PS: And do not press both organizers of the contest! LOL!
Chapo
Hey
can i use a banner of mine? a texture that says i made the map

Yes.
Tincho
[T]incho

I am in. =)
Max (von A)
QUOTE (Chapo @ 08/04/2012 - 13:45:42) *
Fy_, gg_ or aim_ maps are easier than de_ or cs_ maps. We know that and our judgment will of course take that into account.

Now you have enough elements to make great maps and i know you will succeed.

Happy mapping!

I was going to make a fight yard map, but after reading this... I think I'll make a defuser map.

What worries me is whether I will come in time hum.gif

PS: [T]incho wellcome to 17buddies (another argie... mhhh it gets interesting icon_ane.gif )
Chapo
QUOTE (Tincho @ 09/04/2012 - 02:08:51) *
[T]incho

I am in. =)

Remind to pm your email wink.gif

icon_jap.gif
SergioPoverony
QUOTE (Max (von A) @ 08/04/2012 - 22:04:06) *
sv_cheats 1
r_speeds 1

May be developer 1? smile.gif and r_speeds 1
Dominio
Can I use custom version of ZHLT ? I want use Custom version of ZHLT by Vluzacn.
Chapo
No, Sorry.

Only Standard wads and 17bsolstice.

No custom wad allowed.

icon_jap.gif
S3B
Rules are now established at 99% ( 100 % for wads )

No more request accepted. nono.gif

ami2.gif

And ... GOOD LUCK
Dominio
QUOTE (Chapo @ 09/04/2012 - 10:31:23) *
No, Sorry.
Only Standard wads and 17bsolstice.
No custom wad allowed.
icon_jap.gif

No, it isn't wad file, it is Compile Tools. Better Compile Tools. Better shadows, lights and more
S3B
ZHLT, Batch compiler, Orbital Batch Compiler, etc... all are allowed wink.gif
SergioPoverony
QUOTE (S3B @ 09/04/2012 - 16:08:00) *
ZHLT, Batch compiler, Orbital Batch Compiler, etc... all are allowed wink.gif

this is compilers include zhlt wad in map!
KrA40n1
zhlt.wad contais only special textures as null, bevel, sky.
I think it should be allowed?
And also VHLT are the best compiling tools for cs 1.6.

I've posted the contest in a Bulgarian forum.
S3B
Special textures are included in 17bsolstice.wad

Click to view attachment

icon_cool.gif
KrA40n1
I was sure, but I ment that it won't be nothing extra, so the mappers may use it, but I don't say...
Max (von A)
QUOTE (SergioPoverony @ 09/04/2012 - 04:37:41) *
May be developer 1? smile.gif and r_speeds 1

"Mutantis Mutandis"

Thanks for the correction icon_ami.gif
Chapo
When contest will be finished, i will prepare a bed and food for you on 17buddies in order to prepare tutos icon_ane.gif
SergioPoverony
QUOTE (Chapo @ 10/04/2012 - 09:11:51) *
When contest will be finished, i will prepare a bed and food for you on 17buddies in order to prepare tutos icon_ane.gif

Chapo you are varmint? icon_lol.gif biggrin.gif
Chapo
Not at all eek.gif

I said bed and food, not latex nor sextoys ! icon_lol.gif
SergioPoverony
QUOTE (Chapo @ 10/04/2012 - 09:51:34) *
Not at all eek.gif
I said bed and food, not latex nor sextoys ! icon_lol.gif

i joke icon_kimouss.gif
fr33pr0d
Contest posted and made sticky on cstrike-planet.com (hihi, sometimes I love the perks of being a mod)
Chapo
Great thanks fr33pr0d.felicitation.gif

Happy to see that great communities of mappers and great mapping websites are able to gather around our contest. bravo.gif
Chapo
Bad news:

[T]incho just told me that for family reasons, he can no more participate to contest. icon_decu.gif

I hope i's not too serious and whishes him good luck.

Come see us as soon as you can, you will be welcome.wink.gif

ami2.gif
Project
What about sounds, models and sprites ? Are we allowed to put some in the map ?
Chapo
No models, no sounds, no sprites and no textures....What a beautifull map !!! rolleyes.gif gap.gif

OF COURSE YOU CAN !!!! icon_ane.gif
S3B
All models, sprites, sound and sky are allowed

wink.gif
Grounded
QUOTE (S3B @ 11/04/2012 - 15:16:29) *
All models, sprites, sound and sky are allowed

wink.gif

By 'all' do you mean just the default Half-Life/Counter-Strike ones?
KrA40n1
QUOTE (Grounded @ 11/04/2012 - 21:14:16) *
By 'all' do you mean just the default Half-Life/Counter-Strike ones?

I think he means any, whatever you want smile.gif
Chapo
QUOTE (KrA40n1 @ 11/04/2012 - 20:56:41) *
I think he means any, whatever you want smile.gif

Yes.
Max (von A)
Amigos Chapo y S3B:

Most likely, I need to build a model for the map (because I'm also in 3D modeling, lol blush.gif ).

Therefore, it is likely that my map contestant, have 1 or 2 exclusive models, which obviously will not be those that come by default with the game.

Will include everything in the rar (or zip) along with a. Rar, just hope not to overdo with the 5 mb allowed glare.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.