Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Request - Cs 1.6 Server Anthology Project, a server with every map ever made
m3clan
post 29/12/2020 - 23:59:40 |   Post #1
+Reply

Group: Member

us 

Hi,

I am looking for some help. I've tried reaching out to 17buddies, gamebanana, and cs-bg.info -- the largest remaining hosters of CS 1.6 maps in 2020.

I have been running a CS 1.6 community, the m3 clan, since 2009 and we play custom maps.

One of our goals is to make an 'anthology' server with every map for 1.6 that was ever created. There are easily 90k+ maps between the three big hosts and it would be impractical to download each map individually.

Our primary (fun) server already has 2k+ maps, which is barely a scratch. The anthology server probably wouldn't see much player traffic besides people looking to play that one off random lost map.

Can someone from 17buddies please get in contact with me? I would love to obtain a copy of your CS 1.6 map repository as you have thousands of maps..

This is a project that would benefit the entire CS 1.6 community, so would love help from any and everyone.

Happy New Years (soon) and hope all is well.

- m3clan

This post has been edited by m3clan: 30/12/2020 - 00:00:32
Post PM
Website
Go to the top of the page

New
Replies
Chapo
post 12/01/2021 - 11:06:18 |   Post #2
+Reply

Group: 17 Buddies

fr 

Team:
Dev. 17b

So are you actually asking us for the ability to download in one click what our members have taken years to upload?

I hope you don't think your request will be accepted ... ;-)

Post PM
Website
m3clan
post 14/01/2021 - 20:22:05 |   Post #3
+Reply

Group: Member

us 

QUOTE (Chapo @ 12/01/2021 - 02:06:18) *
So are you actually asking us for the ability to download in one click what our members have taken years to upload?

I hope you don't think your request will be accepted ... ;-)

For access to your collection of CS 1.6 maps, yes. I don't think it would necessarily be a "1 click download" unless you took the time to archive into into a single file for us. As for your "collection that took years for your members to upload", it leaves much to be desired because it is in varied formats and missing resources. Even if you were willing to do so, there remains much work to be done with your 1.6 content because:

• Many of the maps are missing resources
  • Many of the maps are without .res files
  • Many of the maps with .res files are incomplete or incorrectly generated
  • Your map archives do not follow a uniform directory structure so I will need to parse everything into the proper \cstrike\ format

It is odd to receive such an attitude for such a project request. We aren't a competitor and our project would only help to promote everyone who participate in it, including 17B.

I did speak with Arkshine back in 2017, a time when 17B was nearing the end as you, Chapo, did not have the time or will, to manage the site any longer, the server bill was difficult to pay (but thankfully EatingPizza stepped up). I was in talks with Arkshine to just pay for the hosting for you guys or help find a cheaper alternative.

I would have thought [i]that[i] effort to help preserve your community in 2017 would have earned me some credibility or respect.

The highlight I recall from 2017 was, As you may know from the last news, Chapo has no more time to manage the website and is willing to give away his baby. Despite the website being popular, the 17B community has quite faded away and the lack of funding is problematic.

I would love to work with you guys to help 17B in some way, whether a straight donation or advertising for you on the anthology server project. We really only want to preserve and expand the 1.6 content.

In the end, if I cannot obtain any direct assistance I will either pay a few clams to Amazon Mechanical Turk to outsource the downloading of the files or I'll script it in Python. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Post PM
Website

Posts in this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

New

RSS Lo-Fi Version

Skin © Chapo